Thursday, April 15, 2010

Quest for PPC and Display Advertising Traffic

I decided to start writing again.  I guess this is because I feel I have something worth saying and so many questions worth asking.

I need traffic and a lot of it.  Over the next several posts, I will share with you my experiences and observations about the methods being considered, tested, analyzed, and proven.  This may be a lot of posts.  I hope you find information you can use and will share your own best practices.

My company has always been a big spender on Google AdWords, Yahoo!, and MSN.  These are good and work for us.  Going into the world of second tier PPC advertising networks, Google/Yahoo! content networks, and Ad Networks is daunting.  I bet there are hundreds of people facing the same challenge today.  I would love to hear from you and get your advice and guidance as I venture into the unknown.  In return, you can follow this thread and save yourself a ton of money by avoiding my mistakes.  I do ask you one favor.  Comment!  Share what you have learned, think is b.s., or anything else.

That said, what will be tested beyond Google, Yahoo! and MSN/Bing?  Here’s what I have had running (none are an endorsement at this point) over the past 4 weeks beyond the big 3 PPC:

·         Google Content network display ads

·         Marchex Premium (Also called AdHere)

·         Marchex PPC (Just starting)

·         Miva (about $1,000 into a test)

·         AdKnowledge (separate email ads from Miva, just starting)

·         Kanoodle (A story to come, but in for $240)

·         Looksmart (Just betting started)

·         Site and retargeting through Collective

·         Yahoo! Ad Network

·         Search retargeting (vendor confidential for now)

·         AdBrite – targeted display on a range of websites.

·         AdRoll – Not sure what got into me on this one

·         AdBlade (these are the ads you lover for teeth whitening and stay at home moms making big money – not mine)

·         REALM Network (a real estate focused ad network)

·         Several Real Estate specific ad buys

Daunting, isn’t it? So, I welcome you to join me on this journey.  Hopefully, both of us will walk away more wise.

 

3 Comments:

Blogger Richard Jennings said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

11:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We use google but no one ever clicks the ads so its tough to make something happen. Yahoo is shutting down their ad network because Google, Adblade and industry brainds have taken all the good publishers. We have tried Adblade too but there are just too many B2B advertisers bidding so you really have to bid aggresively there. Adrite is mostly asian sites, seems like pure click fraud on that network. Looksmart has no volume. Its tough

12:15 PM  
Blogger givings said...

Thanks for the comment, I had not heard anything difinitive about Yahoo!. I Have had some success with AdBlade, but only after getting them to strip out some bad network traffic. They also just recently added their minimums. I rarely see more that scammy looking ads.

12:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home